Thursday, November 4, 2010

Cookie Calamity

The perfect cookie




 I have just spent my entire Tuesday and Wednesday in my kitchen baking up a storm. Which is why there is a war path of mini marshmallows, confectioners sugar, flour, cocoa powder, acorn squash, spiced pear butter and cranberries everywhere from my counters to my floors. So with freezer packed and pantry fully stocked, I can say that I am almost ready for Thanksgiving.


 I have already made my way through 1/2 of a roast turkey and mashed potatoes... next week we will make spiced cranberry sauce and stuffing. Pies, scones and cookies will be baked the week before Thanksgiving. All is wonderful and along with Thanksgiving is coming one of my favorite things in the world...

My back yard, December 2009


Snow is supposed to arrive here in the early hours of November 5th. I can't wait... we (my friend Dana and I ) were all excited and giggly today over the thought of our favorite weather, SNOW!  I know many people don't like cold or snow, but it is so magical. Nothing else in the world is like snow...


I love winter. I love cold and I love snow, especially the big snowflakes. It makes me feel so special when it snows, like someone is giving me a present. The whole world changes, everything becomes calm, quiet and reality is muffled by the fluffy white snow. In a few minutes your everyday view becomes pure, white, fresh... and you can start again with a new found exhilaration. Snow to me is Peace!


Amazing Rocky Road chocolate cookies




And you can't have cold weather and days off cooking without some chocolate! I made a Huge mistake while baking these chocolate chip cookies, the pinch of Hershey's special Dark Cocoa Powder was more like 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons when the lid and contents spilled out much faster than expected. But this was a cocoa spill was an interesting blessing in disguise... I was forced (due to lack of eggs) to make something with this coco mess. So I scrounged around in my pantry for something to make it work. And so here is the recipe to my Triple Chocolate, Rocky Road,  Calamity in a bowl cookies!


Snowy back yard 2009


Calamity Cocoa Cookies:
makes 3 dozen


2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder
2 sticks (1 cup) room temperature, unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
2/4 cup walnut bits
2/4 cup mini marshmallows


Calamity Cookies
Preheat oven to 375˚F 
Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder in a small bowl. 


Beat butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla in a large mixer bowl until creamy. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in white chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, walnuts and mini marshmallows. Drop rounded teaspoons onto ungreased baking sheet. 


Bake 9 to 11 minutes (my oven is hot, we baked them for 8.5 minutes). Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes, remove to wire racks to cool completely. 


These will freeze well, wrap them in foil and put the cookies into a freezer bag. Do you recognize parts of this recipe? It is Nestle Toll House!


Me playing in the snow
2009

1 comment:


Hello and thanks for visiting Calamity Kate Kitchen. I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipes and stories to leave a comment! Please excuse our word verification, but lots of spammers have been leaving their comments and those comments are not appropriate. Anyways, thanks for stopping by and I can't wait to read your comments!
Cheers, Kate