Wednesday, June 5, 2013

My Marshmallow and MasterChef Addiction Cookie Cake


It finally feels like summer in Indiana and summer is the time for s'mores!


Ooey and Gooey S'more Cake
Marshmallows are one of my favorite foods. They are so delicious! I love my s'mores toasted and browned but with a little burnt! I bought a bag of marshmallows recently and I decided that is was time to make something with the marshmallows and not just eating them out of the bag. When I saw the recipe at My Baking Addiction I knew you all would love it and my marshmallow addiction would be out in the open... I have a problem and now that I told you about it, I need to go eat more marshmallows!




So I was making a these cookies and trying to catchup on MasterChef at the same time... that obliviously didn't work and the cookies suffered. So after making two batches of cookies I decided to make the cookie dough into a cake. It was easier and I could still watch MasterChef. 
I watched this episode, MasterChef Recap: Natasha-Krissi Rivalry and oh it was so funny. I think Krissi is going to end up the winner. Natasha is just so stupids to hate someone that she doesn't even know that well. Anyways, I was hooked on MasterChef and so I made the cake instead.

What a cookie cake! The chocolate was still melty and delicious when I ate a slice the next day. The marshmallows are the star of this cake, they sit up top looking so toasty and a little burned, just the way I like  and the cake is just a solid hunk of cookie so you can't go wrong! Yummy


S'more Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake with Toasted Marshmallows
recipe adapted from My Baking Addiction

2 sticks softened butter
1 Cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 Cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla
4 Cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup walnut bits
1 1/2 Cups chocolate chips
3 regular size Hershey’s Chocolate Bars or chocolate chips
3 Full Graham Crackers
1 16 oz. bag large marshmallows


Preheat oven to 350˚F degrees.
Place butter and sugars into a stand or electric mixer; beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla until well combined.

Place flour, salt and baking soda into a large bowl; mix then slowly add to wet ingredients along with the walnuts and chocolate chips. Mix until just combined.

Pour the cookie/cake batter into a greased 9" round cake pan. Tap the pan lightly against your counter top.  Break up the 3 regular size Hershey’s Chocolate Bars and the 3 full graham crackers into bite-sized bits and place them all over the cake. (Do not put the marshmallows on the cake yet) Place the cake pan on a cookie sheet and put the cake into the oven. 

Bake approx 30 minutes or until the cake is golden brown or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Let the cake sit for 10 minutes before inverting it onto a plate or cookie sheet. Place the cake, chocolate and graham side up onto a cooling rack, cool cake completely, 25 minutes. 

When the cake is cooled, place it onto a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place as many marshmallows on the top of the cake, I did two toasted layers of marshmallows on my cake. You can even cut up the marshmallows into some little pieces to fill in holes.

Turn on the broiler 500˚F degrees. Put the cake on the top rack of the oven and watch it. Please don't leave because the marshmallows will be done and toasted in seconds.  Sit in front of your oven and watch them. When the marshmallows are beautifully toasted and all done, turn off the oven and remove the cake. Top with sprinkled cocoa powder and serve!


Note: If you have a kitchen torch, you can also toast the marshmallows without the oven. 


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment


Hello and thanks for visiting Calamity Kate Kitchen. I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipes and stories to leave a comment! Please excuse our word verification, but lots of spammers have been leaving their comments and those comments are not appropriate. Anyways, thanks for stopping by and I can't wait to read your comments!
Cheers, Kate