Saturday, August 10, 2013

Glazed Doughnuts Muffins

Good morning everyone! I have arrived in Nantucket and it as beautiful as I remember. Tensions are running high in my family but what else is new, especially since all five of us are stuck in the house, it is raining right now. Everything will, hopefully calm down soon.


Before I left , I made some delicious muffins that taste a lot like doughnuts... but they taste more like home than anything else. It must be the combination of the sweetness of the glaze, the butter, the cinnamon, and the nutmeg. These muffins didn't really taste too much like doughnuts but they reminded me of home, of comfort and my childhood.  Nutmeg and cinnamon are too constants in my life, not only are they my favorite spices, along with vanilla, but they are in most of my recipes. 


Muffins are great and so are doughnuts but these doughnut muffins are awesome!! While you lose the crispy, fried bits from the doughnuts, you gain much more of a cake-y consistency. These muffins were dunked into the glaze twice, but you could totally dunk each muffin top 3 times for a thick and rich glaze that can rival a frosting. If you wish to top with sprinkles or blueberries, do so, immediately after the muffin has been coated 2 or 3 times with glaze.  These doughnut muffins are perfect for breakfast on the go and will make great school snacks.  Enjoy!






Glazed Doughnut Muffins
recipe from My Baking Addiction
Makes 15-16 muffins

1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 to 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg, to taste (I used 1 1/4)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a standard muffin tin. Or line with 12 paper muffin cups, and grease the cups with non-stick vegetable oil spray; this will ensure that they peel off the muffins nicely.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars till smooth.
Add the eggs, beating to combine.

In a small bowl, stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla.
Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined.
Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan, filling the cups nearly full.
Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes, or until they’re a pale golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.



Sprinkles!!




Glaze
3 tablespoons butter; melted
1 cup confectioners’ sugar; sifted
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons hot water
1/4 cup sprinkles (optional)

In a medium bowl, prepare the glaze by mixing together the melted butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and water. Whisk until smooth.
When muffins have cooled slightly, dip the muffin crown into the glaze and allow the glaze to harden. At this point, you can leave them as is or go for the double dip. I glazed my muffins twice.
Serve warm, or cool on a rack and wrap airtight. Muffins will keep at room temperature for about a day. Keep covered in a cake carrier, Tupperware or baggies.




1 comment:

  1. As much as I like you, Kate, I have to say I am glad I do not live near you, let alone be a room mate. I would eat all these luscious baked goods and then I would gain tons of weight.

    Fantastic recipe. YUM!

    Roberta
    More Thyme Than Dough

    ReplyDelete


Hello and thanks for visiting Calamity Kate Kitchen. I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipes and stories to leave a comment! Please excuse our word verification, but lots of spammers have been leaving their comments and those comments are not appropriate. Anyways, thanks for stopping by and I can't wait to read your comments!
Cheers, Kate