Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Calamity Kate gets a little Crazy

Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie Pie  

I have been a little pie-crazy lately. Well, pie crazy doesn't even give you an idea on how pie crazy I have become. I have many more pies I haven't shared with you. I used to be afraid to make pies and pie crust was too difficult. So I baked other treats and for many years the only pies I made were chicken pot pies. But since I have been over running CKK with pies (more to come) I decided to take a short pie break and we will return to our normally scheduled program of cupcakes.  And now back to the show... 

These little tropical beauties are just sweet and a bit frisky. I took these tropical carrot cake cupcakes and a key lime pie to my spa for my friend/massage therapists last weekend before maternity leave. I am so glad she liked them!  These mini cupcakes were a perfect little bite of carrot, spices, coconut and pineapple. The buttercream was just divine and creamy, sweet and lovely. The cream cheese really came through as light but still really creamy and just the perfect end of the bite. Oh they were so good and I should had made many more.  Cheers!
1 year ago A Tale of Two Cupcakes


Tropical Carrot Cake Cupcakes
adapted from Pinch of Yum
2 cups sifted flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda(add in 1 more teaspoon baking soda if you are making the cake in a loaf pan)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups grated raw carrots
4 eggs
1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
1/3 cup coconut
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained well
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients and oil with carrots. Add one egg at a time and beat for one minute after each egg.


Bake for 50 minutes in a 9×13 inch pan. Let cool completely. 
(For cupcakes, half the recipe and pour batter into greased or lined muffin tins. Fill about 3/4 of the way to the top and bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until tops have popped and spring back when you touch them.)
Refrigerate and eat cold for best taste
The Sweetest Cream Cheese Buttercream
a Calamity Kate Original


2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 lb butter (2 sticks) room temperature


Whip butter and cream cheese together. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla and continue mixing until  the buttercream is fluffy and soft. Serve cold with milk!
I topped these mini cupcakes with sprinkles of cinnamon, nutmeg or mace and vanilla sugar.

1 comment:

  1. Those look so good Kate, especiallyy the icing. I wanted to link my computer screen it looked so good.

    Nice of you to take them to your massage therapist.

    Roberta More Thyme Than Dough

    ReplyDelete


Hello and thanks for visiting Calamity Kate Kitchen. I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipes and stories to leave a comment! Please excuse our word verification, but lots of spammers have been leaving their comments and those comments are not appropriate. Anyways, thanks for stopping by and I can't wait to read your comments!
Cheers, Kate