Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Not Following Directions Equals a Favorite Recipe

This recipe was first shared with you on December 29, 2010, my first year of blogging at Calamity Kate's Kitchen. 


 "So I thought, just for a change of pace, I would share this wing recipe with you. This recipe was a total fluke, I made it and then of course... read the recipe. Normally this would be a terrible idea, but it worked out and became one of my favorite chicken wing recipes. I have adapted this recipe a few times, but with the addition of this creamy and slightly sweet sauce... the recipe is amazing. It is defiantly going to come as a wake up call to your stomach after all this heavy, buttery, creamy, and sweet holiday food. " This was my original description of this recipe and my total lack of patience with recipes and with following directions.  Yes, I do have a problem following directions. Yes it used to be on almost every report card I ever got as a child!



Anyways, it turned out to be one of my favorite recipes. Well, the sauce is my absolute favorite and the chicken comes in as a close second. The slight spice of the chicken works so well with the creamy, salty, sweet-ness of the sauce. Plus, as an added bonus, who doesn't love dipping food into sauces. 
These chicken drumsticks are perfect for a potluck, tailgating and Superbowl parties. They are great to make ahead of time as the flavor is enhanced after the first day. Also, the chicken tastes great cold. Enjoy!



Two years ago- Calamity Cookies

Soy and Honey Chicken Drumsticks

originally posted December 29th, 2010

1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 teaspoon fresh ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 lbs chicken drumsticks or drumettes

Combine the honey, soy sauce, ginger and chili powder and mix well. Pour into a flat baking dish or a plastic gallon bag.  Add in the chicken, let it marinate on each side for a minimum of 1 hour for no more than 4 hours.
Preheat the oven to 350˚F and cover a cookie sheet with foil.  Place the chicken on the foil and bake until it reaches 165˚F,  about 45 minutes.

Optional  you can also set aside a 1/2 cup of the marinade into small, heavy bottom pot. The marinade you cook can not touch the raw chicken, so set it aside first. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the marinade becomes the consistency of syrup or molasses. Drizzle over that cooked chicken



Creamy Soy and Honey Dipping Sauce 
1 cup sour cream
4 teaspoons honey, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, optional

In a small bowl, add together the sour cream and honey and using a whisk,  mix together until very smooth and creamy. Refrigerate the sauce for up to 1 hour and serve it cold as a dip or drizzled over the chicken. I love this combination of salty and creamy and sweet. I have dipped bread and crackers into it and I even added some into a chip-dip. Keep refrigerated!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Gee! This sounds and looks fantastic. The color is gorgeous. Love your presentation too.

    For me I would have to lessen amount of ginger, but this is great recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    Can never have too many chicken wing revipes.
    Roberta
    MoreThymeThanDough

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.

    I said wings even though you pictured drumsticks cause I would use this recipe on wings.

    ReplyDelete


Hello and thanks for visiting Calamity Kate Kitchen. I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipes and stories to leave a comment! Please excuse our word verification, but lots of spammers have been leaving their comments and those comments are not appropriate. Anyways, thanks for stopping by and I can't wait to read your comments!
Cheers, Kate