Friday, December 17, 2010

Chicken Soup that Warms the Soul #2

As promised (though very late) Farmers Market Chicken Soup.  I love soup, could you tell?  This is a great soup that you can make all year round. I change the ingredients depending on the season. I love using fresh tomatoes and fresh herbs in the summer and sometimes I add pre-baked sweet potatoes or squash in the winter.  This soup is very easy and mostly healthy, minus the butter is it really healthy. Last year I went to an awesome farmers market in Mountain View California with my aunt  and mother. I had never seen so much fresh food before and I didn't even recognize some of the fruits and vegetables. It was awesome and I returned home with some amazing pictures. This soup is based on many of the vegetables I saw at the farmers market. I hope you enjoy it.







Farmers Market Chicken Soup
1 head napa cabbage, sliced
1 onion, diced
8 ounces of fresh button or bella mushrooms, sliced and precooked
1 zucchini, thinly sliced
1 peeled garlic clove
1 1/2 teaspoon Herbs DE Provence
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 pieces of celery, diced
2 chicken bullion cubes

2 tomatoes or 1 (8 oz can) chopped tomatoes, sliced
2 carrots, sliced 

2 tablespoons olive oil
5 cups chicken broth

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, precooked
salt and pepper to taste
I always have precooked chicken in my freezer. I just roast with a coating of olive oil, salt and pepper. Add the 2 teaspoons oil to the pot. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and cook, stirring over medium-high heat until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add in the butter, garlic clove and Herbs DE Provence and cook for 2 more minutes.  Add in the broth and the 2 bullion cubes and bring to a boil. Add the cabbage, cover and let simmer until tender, about 10 minutes or until the cabbage is cooked. Turn the heat down to medium-low and add in zucchini, chicken and precooked mushrooms continue cooking for 10 minutes until the broth becomes richer and darker. Remove the garlic clove and salt and pepper to taste and serve with crackers. This soup is great pureed as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment


Hello and thanks for visiting Calamity Kate Kitchen. I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipes and stories to leave a comment! Please excuse our word verification, but lots of spammers have been leaving their comments and those comments are not appropriate. Anyways, thanks for stopping by and I can't wait to read your comments!
Cheers, Kate