Friday, December 17, 2010

Chicken Soup that Warms the Soul #3




Homemade chicken soup!   One of the only foods that helps me when I am under the weather or just tired and sick of everything. As much as I love this time of year, winter is very blah  I do like making my own broth, but pre-made is ok too. I hope you enjoy this amazing soup and stay very warm. They are predicting even more snow for Indiana!  Yay I love snow. No, I really and truely love snow

My Very Favorite Jewish Chicken Soup
Serves 4-6 large servings. 




4 large chicken thighs, boneless and skinless and sliced into big bite size pieces
5 large carrots, cut into long diagonal slices
2 large onions, large chunks
3-4 boxes of  Kitchen Basics chicken stock
1 tablespoon butter
1 garlic clove,  minced
Olive oil

Fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste


On a cookie sheet covered with foil, toss chicken with salt, pepper, and olive oil and bake for about 30 minutes at 350˚    
Pour all of the chicken stock into a large soup pot and heat until you see small bubbles. Turn the heat down to medium heat and continue  cooking for 1/2 hour, uncovered.
Add in the carrots and onions, salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 1 hour to 1  1/2 hours and do not let the soup boil.  Add in the precooked chicken and turn down the heat off.  Cool slightly and serve with fresh cut parsley. This soup freezes well.

1 comment:


Hello and thanks for visiting Calamity Kate Kitchen. I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipes and stories to leave a comment! Please excuse our word verification, but lots of spammers have been leaving their comments and those comments are not appropriate. Anyways, thanks for stopping by and I can't wait to read your comments!
Cheers, Kate