Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Peachy Keen Pie

My pie!
I made this for father's day dinner, but I got home from work so late that by the time the pie was ready it was nearly midnight. So I cut slices for my family and then took the rest home with me.  This pie was very dear, I love peach pie and I haven't made any for years and this pie was divine! The peaches were bought at Fresh Market in Indianapolis and they were $14.00.  It had to be great, stellar even...


I started the pie crust, my Aunt Nancy's recipe, and then I peeled the peaches. The some of the peaches cooperated and many didn't, so we blanched the peaches to make them easier to peel.  I wanted to get a little fancy with the pie crust so I (for the first time) did a lattice pattern. And boy was it difficult... the dough was getting warm and I hurried, but it came out all crooked and wonky. Mrs. Rowe recommends using either plain pastry crust or vinegar crust.  But the pie turned out delicious... although a lot of it went missing from my refrigerator over the next 2 days... I blame the cats. Cold peach pie is the best, especially late at night!
Next time I make this it will look more like this picture
 Mrs. Rowe's Pie
Peachy Keen Fresh Peach Pie
recipe from Mrs. Rowe's Little book of Southern Pies
Makes one 9-inch pie

5 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Preheat the oven to 425˚F. Line a 9-inch pie plate with 1 rolled out crust.
Put the peaches in a bowl, add the lemon juice and gently stir to coat. Separately, combine  the sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg, mix thoroughly then add to the peaches. Gently stir to coat the peaches, then spoon the filling evenly into the crust.
Brush the rim of the crust with water, cover with the second rolled out-crust, seal and flute or crimp the edges, and cut a few steam vents into the top.
Bake 35 to 4o minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven, brush with melted butter, and cool on a wire rack for 1 hour before slicing. Serve at room temperature or slightly warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment


Hello and thanks for visiting Calamity Kate Kitchen. I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipes and stories to leave a comment! Please excuse our word verification, but lots of spammers have been leaving their comments and those comments are not appropriate. Anyways, thanks for stopping by and I can't wait to read your comments!
Cheers, Kate