Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Cinco de Mayo and the Drunk Cupcake

I'm back from my move and I'm so excited to be blogging again!! I can not thank my awesome guest bloggers enough for keeping Calamity Kate's going while I was moving. They were fabulous and I loved how each post was unique and how every ones writing styles were so beautiful. Thanks again guest bloggers! 

My apartment is not yet done. I still need to finish up some painting and hang a few pictures but I love this place and already feel at home. I will be sharing pictures with you soon. Sookie is loving the view from the patio and bedroom windows. The birds fly around and land on the patio which freaks her out. I don't think Sookie knows what to make of them yet but they keep her entertained! I am thrilled to have such a great view and tons of sunlight. I just planted my strawberries, mint, basil, cherry tomatoes and yellow-pear tomatoes yesterday, the rest will have to wait to be planted. 

Back off  kids, these are adult only cupcakes
I am going to share my past few weeks with you in reverse order (just so I can share these amazing cupcakes) So happy belated Cinco de Mayo. These cupcakes were the second treat to be baked in my new apartment. I love margaritas and this was just awesome to eat. The tequila in these cupcakes really comes through in the buttercream, no so much in the cake. It might help to have really good tequila like Patron Silver.  I hope you had a super fun and safe Cino de Mayo.  I hope you enjoy these cupcakes and their buttery, tequila n' lime goodness! 

Cinco de Mayo Drunk Margarita Cupcakes
adapted from the Brown Eyed Baker 


Tequila Lime Cupcakes: 
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs at room temperature
2 limes, zested and juiced
1 teaspoon tequila
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk


Optional: to brush the cupcakes 1 to 2 tablespoons tequila


Makes 12 cupcakes
Preheat oven to 325˚F


In a medium bowl whisk or sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside


In a stand mixer on medium-high, beat the butter and sugar together until pale, light and fluffy (about 5 minutes)Reduce the mixer to medium speed and add in the eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each egg.        


Scrape the sides of the bowl and add in lime juice, lime zest, vanilla extract and tequila. Mix until combined (It will look very gross and curdled but don't worry when you add in the remainder of ingredients it will come out beautifully. Don't worry!)
Reduce the mixer speed to low and add in the dry ingredients in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk in two batches. Mix only until just incorporated, use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to give one last mix by hand. 


Divide the batter between 12 regular cupcake liners (they will be full) or 25 mini cupcake liners. Bake for approx 25 minutes or until slightly golden on top. Rotate the cupcakes halfway. 


Allow cupcakes to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before placing them on a cooling rack. 
Brush them with 1 to 2 tablespoons of tequila (optional). Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting them.
Tequila Lime Buttercream
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons tequila
1 lime, zested
Pinch of course kosher salt


Whip the butter on medium-high speed. Reduce to medium-low and gradually add the powdered sugar, mixing and scraping sides of the bowl until everything is Incorporated. Mix on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the lime juice, salt, 1/2 lime zest and tequila and mix on medium-high speed until incorporated and fluffy. (If the frosting appears to soft, add more powdered sugar. One spoonful at a time until the desired consistency is reached) 
Frost cupcakes and garnish with remaining lime zest and sprinkle on optional sugar or salt.


I love the light in my new apartment



6 comments:

  1. I love how you zested the lime on there! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the margarita cupcakes look and sound awesome! i will have to try that out some time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clicked over from Katrina's blog and like what I see. Anybody who cooks with booze is my kitchen soul sister! I featured a margarita ice cream in my blog last week, so it's one of my favorite flavor profiles too. I'm your latest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to have you back. Glad you like your new palce. Cupcakes look and sound divine. Great recipe for yur comeback!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cupcakes are gorgeous!! I love that shade of green so was immediately attracted to the photo. I'm sure they're delicious, too. I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/06/sweet-indulgences-sunday-10.html

    ReplyDelete


Hello and thanks for visiting Calamity Kate Kitchen. I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipes and stories to leave a comment! Please excuse our word verification, but lots of spammers have been leaving their comments and those comments are not appropriate. Anyways, thanks for stopping by and I can't wait to read your comments!
Cheers, Kate