Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Winter Chills


I am so sick of winter. The snow/sleet/ice need to stop. I can't wait for spring. But one of the things I love about winter is the great comfort foods. Of course I crave lasagna, mashed potatoes, meat loaf, soup and brownies.  But one of my favorite winter foods is sorbet. I crave fruit during these cold, icy, dark months and sorbet combines my fruit craving and my favorite food, ice cream. I have made some amazing sorbets and ice creams recently, but this is one of my favorites, I have made it twice. 


This sorbet is very bright and fresh, full of lemon flavor. But this time I wanted to keep a light mint flavor and so I left the mint leaves out of the sorbet, but I cooked the mint with the sugar. It came out with a very light mint flavor that just enhanced the lemon flavor. This defiantly sent my winter blahs away! 

Lemon and Mint Sorbet
Slightly adapted from Nigella Lawson
2 cups fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup cream
2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
3 cups water
7.4 ounces superfine sugar



Put sugar, mint and water in a saucepan and stir over a medium heat until all of sugar has dissolved.
Bring to the boil and simmer uncovered without stirring for 10 minutes and then remove from heat and cool. Strain out the mint leaves.
Stir in juice and cream and pour into container and freeze until firm
Remove mix from container and beat until smooth.
Freeze again until firm6-12 hours.
Follow the directions for your ice cream maker and once the sorbet is done, freeze for a few hours before serving.

1 comment:


Hello and thanks for visiting Calamity Kate Kitchen. I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipes and stories to leave a comment! Please excuse our word verification, but lots of spammers have been leaving their comments and those comments are not appropriate. Anyways, thanks for stopping by and I can't wait to read your comments!
Cheers, Kate