Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pina Colada Sherbert

Hi guys, I am posting this quickly because I am on my way to the doctors office. I can't believe I started out with a sinus infection and now half of my face is crazy swollen. Ugh, I will let you know whats going on. Have a great day!

This recipe is a super easy and delicious sherbet that you can impress your friends and family with. I love pineapple and coconut so this was a no brainer when I found it at Saucy and Sweet! Since there is no stabilizer in this sorbet, it is much better if you eat it after the sorbet sits out for a few minutes and if eaten within a few days. I topped my ice cream off with a sprinkle toasted coconut. It was good and very addictive. I can't wait for you to try it!





Pina Colada Sherbet
found and adapted from  Saucy and Sweet
originally adapted from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz

1 whole ripe pineapple, cored and chopped (about 4 cups)
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (I used the low fat coconut milk)
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon rum- do not add more or you will have a slushy sorbet
1 teaspoon  lime juice
1 lime, zested
2 tablespoons cream of coconut

 Combine all ingredients in blender and puree until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh strainer twice. Refrigerate until chilled. Follow directions from ice cream manufacturer. Let the sherbet sit out for 5 minutes before serving.



UPDATE: I just got back from the doctor and he doesn't think this was from a food allergy or sinus infection. Doctor C. says it is just an infection in my skin and the pressure from the swelling is pushing on my sinus cavity. The good news is that it is getting better. So I hopefully won't have to go to the hospital or stop eating citrus (although it will be a while before I eat blood oranges again) I will post the beautiful Blood Orange Sorbet. Thanks so much for the support and words of kindness Courtney and Lisa.

8 comments:

  1. I'm only making this if you will allow me to put rum in it. Thanks :) Haha, great recipe, I bet it is delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no. Hope you feel better. This recipe looks so good!! ~Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Coutney. I am due back at the doctors office tomorrow to see how the medication is working. One side of my face is so swollen and I look just aweful. Thanks for the support. How is the new knife treating you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you having an allergic reaction to something? Poor you!

    Well...let's just say it's gotten a lot of use but not from me!! I'm cooking this weekend, so that's when I'll get to take it out for my first test run. It's pretty, though, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pretty sure I am allergic to blood oranges. I made the blood orange souffle a few weeks ago and last night i had 2 small bowls of homemade blood orange sorbet. I will keep you updated.
    Good luck with your knife. I would avoid bagels if I were you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Kate! This sherbet looks so good! I'm bookmarking this to make for my family!

    So sorry about your swollen face. :( I know all to well about food allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe sounds amazing! Can't wait to try it out.
    www.nicolelucianaepperson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you better, Kate? Been thinking of you. :)

    ReplyDelete


Hello and thanks for visiting Calamity Kate Kitchen. I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipes and stories to leave a comment! Please excuse our word verification, but lots of spammers have been leaving their comments and those comments are not appropriate. Anyways, thanks for stopping by and I can't wait to read your comments!
Cheers, Kate